Bolesworth Castle is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a Grade II* listed building. It is located just south of Tattenhall in Cheshire. Designed by architect William Cole, a pupil of Thomas Harrison of Chester, it was built for Manchester businessman George Walmesley in 1829. Around three decades later, in 1856, Bolesworth Castle was purchased by Scottish businessman Robert Barbour (1797-1885). Investing in the cotton textile industry during its heyday, Barbour was an extremely wealthy man and God-fearing man. Believing that God intended him to do his work there, Barbour settled at Bolesworth Castle. Until today, the property is owned by his descendants.
After its initial construction in 1829, on the site of an older house dating back to 1750, substantial redevelopment work was led by Major Robert Barbour in the 1920s. With the help of influential country-house architect Clough Williams-Ellis, numerous modifications were made to the house and the grounds. These included the addition of stables, kennels, garages, a drainage network, a terrace and a racquet court. The house’s entrance was moved and stone seats were added to the garden, alongside an imposing sculpture of Diana, the Huntress.
Today, the Bolesworth Estate encompasses 6,000 acres and contains around three hundred residential and commercial properties. Anthony Barbour, who died in 2007 at the age of 68, was responsible for modern redevelopment at the sprawling Cheshire property. His efforts transformed Bolesworth Castle into a leading example of rural diversification. As a result of his efforts, the estate has become a centre for small businesses, which support 800 jobs. An example of these businesses is a candle factory located in one of the old farm buildings, which attracts tens of thousands of visitors each year. Today, Anthony’s daughter Nina continues to the rich Barbour family legacy of maintain and growing the seemingly infinite potential of Bolesworth Castle.